Sword making class

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sword making class

Post  Izec on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:36 pm

Hey everybody! I think it is time we had an official sword making class. I know I have plenty of loaner weapons right now but we need to make those available for other new players.

I ordered some kitespar and some foam, so I've got a price for the class. The cost for materials for the class is $7. That's right, a mere 7 whole dollars for a short sword that'll be about 33-34" long (or shorter,if you like) to fit in your sweaty little palm that should last for months and months before needing repair (provided you store it properly). I'm telling you, that's a helluva bargain for a .505" kitespar short sword. The typical price for a fully made sword is about a dollar per inch. Keep in mind, these are going to be round blades. If you really want a flat blade we can schedule a different class some other time, but the cost will be a bit higher due to different foam requirements and more expense for covers.

Aside from that minuscule 7 dollars the only thing you have to pay out is your time and your sweat. It is like the Bible says, don't give a dude a fish, instead teach him to make a sword and he'll be able to swing all he wants when he wants. Nevermind my shitty paraphrasing.

I know there are plenty of loaners right now but I'd rather save those for brand new players. Also, keeping up those weapons takes time and money and eventually I'm going to stop providing both and go back to keeping up only my own weapons. If you really don't want to learn how to make a round sword, that's fine, you can buy one of the current loaners from me for a discount, but that cost will probably still be more than the small fee of $7.

I just ordered the goods yesterday so it'll be a while before they come in, but for right now post if you are in for the class and what day(s) of the week would work best for you. I think we are going to need a minimum 4 hours to get it all done, but probably longer.

So, who is in? Oh, and don't forget to tell your friends.
Izec

View user profile http://www.grimsword.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sword making class

Post  Casimir on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:49 pm

Heck, if it is going to be .505 kitespar I am going to have to get in on this too. I need to make a new thin handled weapon since my old kitespar club got busted.
Casimir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dehonarinn on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 pm

I know I need a side arm for when I carry my Red and get armed.

Dehonarinn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Izakd Inedikey on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:42 am

Kitespar, eh? I'm gonna have to bum a ride and a few bucks from my father, if I can.
That'd be sweeet to have! bounce
Izakd Inedikey

View user profile http://myspace.com/thelightningreborn

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:23 pm

Debbie and I would love to attend.

When and where, Izec?

For us, Fri/Sat/Sun should be doable for the both of us given a few days notice.

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Izec on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:06 pm

Awesome. I figure we could talk about when and where at the next fight day (this Saturday February 28th). The stuff hasn't arrived yet and I will still need some time to get everything prepped. So, talking and making a plan on Saturday would be our best bet.
Izec

Back to top Go down

Date and Location set! -- Sunday March 8th in Elgin

Post  Alex on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:07 pm

After discussing it with those present, it was decided that we'd set the sword class for Sunday March 8th at my house in Elgin. Start time is 1pm.

Please bring $7 per person for Izec to cover materials.

Carpooling is highly suggested - while there is street parking, it can get crowded fairly quickly.

Please post to this thread if you're coming - I'll PM you with directions. See you there! (or is it hir?)

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Casimir on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:22 pm

We have atleast these people showing from my side of the world:
Derek
Me
James
Jordan
JB
Willard
Casimir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowyrat on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:51 pm

The group up here in Hutto are going to try an show up. We should all be able to make it, provided nothing big happens between now and then.
Snowyrat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diabolus Vile on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:05 pm

I shall bring you the necessary 28 silver (quarters) required for the crafting and purchase of a fine sword! What a Face

EDIT: Another person might be coming but it depends on if he has work or not. I shall find out more and relay it to Aurgelmir as well as post here.
Diabolus Vile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Izec on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:05 pm

I need an exact count for the sword making class. So far we have these people attending for sure:

Alex
Debbie
Derek
Casey/Aurgelmir/Casimir
James
Jordan
JB
Willard

Beyond that, I need more solid responses from these peeps:

Snowyrat and possibly the rest of the hutto group (4 total?)

Obelisk? Or are you one of the guys listed above?

I think I'm going to have to cap the class at about this many people. I'm pretty sure I have enough foam for 12-13 swords. Any more than that I'm not sure I have enough for. So, provided Snowy and all his peeps are showing as well as Obelisk that should be it. Joe might show up, too, so I think I'll have enough for that, but I might have to use different foam.

Izec

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowyrat on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:50 pm

All four of us will hopefully show up, but more likely it'll be just three. I'll ask everyone, but I know three for sure. One of us is having issues with timing with church and such. I can get a solid response tommorow. Considering the amount of fun everyone had last time we went, we'll probably need four waivers in the near future as well. I think it would be the most convenient for all if we picked them up at the class and brought them back next practice.
Snowyrat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diabolus Vile on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:29 pm

If the "James" you listed is Casey's friend, then that's me. Once you get the total for sure amount of people going, let us know if you have enough and either I'll tell my friend you won't have enough phone or supplies or let him know when and where. Otherwise, he's at best a maybe. I wouldn't count on him getting off work, but he might just come for a couple hours to see how we make them.
Diabolus Vile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Izec on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:16 pm

Obelisk wrote:If the "James" you listed is Casey's friend, then that's me. Once you get the total for sure amount of people going, let us know if you have enough and either I'll tell my friend you won't have enough phone or supplies or let him know when and where. Otherwise, he's at best a maybe. I wouldn't count on him getting off work, but he might just come for a couple hours to see how we make them.

You'd have to ask Casey if you are the James he listed. As for your friend, he wouldn't be able to make a sword within a couple of hours. He can show up to see how we make them, though.
Izec

Back to top Go down

Post  Casimir on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Izec wrote:
Obelisk wrote:If the "James" you listed is Casey's friend, then that's me. Once you get the total for sure amount of people going, let us know if you have enough and either I'll tell my friend you won't have enough phone or supplies or let him know when and where. Otherwise, he's at best a maybe. I wouldn't count on him getting off work, but he might just come for a couple hours to see how we make them.

You'd have to ask Casey if you are the James he listed. As for your friend, he wouldn't be able to make a sword within a couple of hours. He can show up to see how we make them, though.
He is.
Casimir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Izec on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:35 pm

Okay, so 8 + 3 with a possible 1, 2, or 3 more equals about 11-14 swords. I should have enough foam for that many swords. We are probably going to be using two foam thicknesses, but we'll go over all that at the class. See you guys at 1pm on Sunday.

Oh, and please try not to be late. I know I'm going to try my damndest to be there on time, too.
Izec

Back to top Go down

Post  pluvius ceribus on Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:15 am

hey every body afro Just to let you know, time change is this Sat. night. remember spring forward. Hope that I am not stating the obvious.

pluvius ceribus

View user profile http://grimsword.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowyrat on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:43 pm

Wait, so we're meeting this Saturday? I thought we were meeting Sunday...
Snowyrat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Set your clocks forward

Post  Alex on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:04 pm

What Pluvius was trying to remind us is that Daylight Savings Time starts Sunday morning between 2 and 3am, so set your clocks ahead an hour before you go to bed Saturday night.

Class is still Sunday 1pm at my house. =)

Alex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowyrat on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:50 pm

I see, it was just worded strangely...
Snowyrat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Izec on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:21 pm

The class went well. It took us about 5 hours for the 10 of us to make our blue swords. I still have a few cores I'd be willing to sell if anyone wants one, plus a little foam. You guys did a great job and I didn't even have to yell at anybody once for not paying attention. Thanks again to Alex and Debbie for letting us make a mess of their garage. I'll hopefully be finishing the instructions soon and I'll post them up in this section.

Last edited by Izec on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Izec

Back to top Go down

Post  Casimir on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:20 pm

I might be interested in snagging some of those cores, how much do you want for them?
Casimir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Izec on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:56 pm

I'll sell them to you at cost, so $5 each. I have two that are bare, and two that have one layer of spiral wrapped foam.
Izec

Back to top Go down

Post  Casimir on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Izec wrote:I'll sell them to you at cost, so $5 each. I have two that are bare, and two that have one layer of spiral wrapped foam.
Let me get the bare ones, I am thinking of making a light weight axe and a katana.
Casimir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top